History

08-June-17
History

Having celebrated its centenary in 2014, St. Brigid’s Boys School is probably one of the oldest schools in South County Dublin. We are very proud of its unique history and the strong educational tradition that St. Brigids has maintained over the years.

In 1912 the sum of £2309 was assigned to build and furnish a new school on a site on Mart Lane, Foxrock. The site was purchased by Mrs. Hamilton who resided in a house called “Cúl na Gréine” on Mart Lane. She was a dedicated member of Conradh na Gaeilge and a personal friend of Douglas Hyde, the first President of Ireland.

St Brigid's.JPG

The renowned architect, Sir Richard Orpen, designed the school and was paid the princely sum of £275 for his efforts – this indeed was a lot of money at the time. Sir Richard also designed Tullow Church on Brighton Road, Foxrock.

The school was built by Louis Monks of Dun Laoghaire at a cost of £3046 – even in those days projects went way over budget! The plaque on the school wall commemorates the official opening of St. Brigid’s Schools, Foxrock on November 25th 1914 by Sir Horace Plunkett, one of the trustees. The building consisted of two schools, one for boys and one for girls. For the next 50 years the schools functioned as typical rural schools of the time. The only housing development of note during this time being St. Brigid’s Park, completed in 1953.

Events
Apr
27 2018
Confirmation (6th class)
May
07 2018
Bank Holiday
May
19 2018
First Holy Communion
Jun
04 2018
Bank Holiday
Jun
29 2018
Summer Holidays
News
20-Apr-2018
Jordan Larmour paid a surprise visit to St. Brigid's BNS this week.
11-Apr-2018
Annual Book Fair
22-Mar-2018
Watercolour Landscapes
20-Mar-2018
Terrific Tin Foil
Enquire
 
 
 
Contact
St Brigid's Boys' NS,
Mart Lane,
Foxrock,
Dublin 18,
Ireland

01 289 3199

Download the iClassCMS app on Android
Download the iClassCMS app on iOS
Location
© 2018 St Brigid's Boys' N.S.